Artificial intelligence has made its headway in various industries. It has revolutionized business operations and resulted in increased productivity and efficiency. Artificial intelligence enables any digital device to observe and recognize objects, understand as well as reply to recognizable messages. Along with it, it makes decisions and also learns to change its behaviour and thinking as it analyses the various data points in particular distributed memory. This distributed memory is also known as the cloud.
With all these aspects, AI is already used in the healthcare industry at a basic level. But, it is expected to have an extended role to play in the future of healthcare.
Let’s look at how artificial intelligence is used in healthcare.
- Virtual Health Assistants proactively assist the patients in a plethora of ways. For one, the VHA helps the dementia patients to stay on track with the prescribed medications. It is done via sending regular reminders. Also, virtual health assistants give advice on treatments of various common medical conditions. It also provides recipes for the patients with specific dietary requirements. They also monitor the patients based on the data which allows the doctors to engage with the patients as well as pharmacies. This allows to remind the patients about prescription refills and pickups. It also recommends preventive health screening. It has led to increased demand for AI application development.
- AI has also improved medical diagnosis. For instance, AI-assisted medical image diagnosis is being used to improve reading of CT scans and X-rays. The technology that is used is able to detect suspicious lesions as well as nodules in lung cancer patients. It allows doctors to offer patients with an early diagnosis. It is way better than sending tissue samples to any lab for analysis. Hence, it allows providing the treatments way earlier than usual.
There are AI algorithms which are developed to diagnose various cancers. Cancers like skin cancer can be detected by using this technology. It utilizes the images of moles, lesions, rashes and it may be available as a mobile applications on smartphones through AI based mobile app development.
Also, AI can analyse large volumes of data. It enables the detection of various diseases and hence helps with clinical decisions.
Now, let’s look the benefits of AI in healthcare.
- The first benefit that AI offers is the advancement in treatments as AI is leading in healthcare treatments. For instance, it improves the organization of treatment plans as well as analyse the data. It helps in providing better treatment plans along with monitoring of treatments. AI has inherent ability to accurately and swiftly identify disease signs in medical images such as MRI, CT scans, X-Rays, and Ultrasound. Hence, it allows faster diagnostic which reduces the waiting time of patients for diagnosis. It also accelerates the introduction of various treatment options. AI in mobile apps helps the healthcare organizations to keep track of patient’s condition which leads to better treatment.
- AI has potential to improve the outcomes by 20 to 40 % as per reports from Frost & Sullivan. It also says that AI reduces the treatment cost by nearly 50 %. It leads to improvements in precision as well as efficiency which means less human errors. This leads to decrease in doctor visits. Doctors are enabled to get the information from their patients who are at risk of various diseases. It helps in preventing hospital re-admissions. AI in mobile apps helps the patients and doctors to reduce the inherent cost of treatment.
- Another major benefit of AI in the healthcare industry is its ability to design and formulate treatment plans. The doctors can easily search a database like Modernizing Medicine, which is a medical assistant. This medical assistant is used to collect information of patient along with diagnosis records, tests ordered. It also collects prescriptions and prepares the billing information. Also, the AI helps in searching public databases with information from thousands of patients and doctors. This helps physicians to administer better personalized care and treatment.
- With all these benefits, AI is also reliable to keep sensitive data of the patients in a secure fashion. It includes address, healthcare information and financial data. Healthcare institutions which handle the sensitive medical information have to make sure that their sharing policies keep the information safe.
- AI is accurate and safe, and it has also created such that it is up to date with recent health cases. A program is only good when it has the data to learn from. AI-based mobile apps through mobile app development require being trained and constantly updated. It allows to identify new as well as exceptional health cases.
However, there are various challenges for AI in the healthcare sector.
- It includes widespread clinical adoption. It requires the realization of the value of AI. The healthcare industry has to create the workforce which is knowledgeable about Artificial intelligence. This makes it comfortable about using AI technologies. It leads to enabling the AI technologies to learn better as well as grow smarter.
- Training doctors and patients to utilize AI is another major challenge. Learning to use this technology can be quite a challenge. Also, not everyone is open to provide sensitive information to mobile apps. Accepting AI technology requires addressing through education about its benefits and advantages.
- Complying with the regulations is another challenge that AI in healthcare faces. There is the requirement for approval from FDA before any AI device or application is used in healthcare. This is due to the fact that AI is at a nascent stage and this technology is not fully known. Also, existing approval processes deal with the AI hardware more that the data.
AI is gaining traction in a large number of fields. AI has the ability to have a far-reaching positive impact on doctors as well as patients in healthcare. AI application development has led to a plethora of AI-based mobile apps. They have the ability to aggregate as well as analyse a large amount of varied data. AI can easily yield more accurate and faster diagnoses for a large section of people. Individuals who don’t have access to specialized health care can reap the benefits through AI. Healthcare costs can essentially drop due to earlier as well as accurate diagnoses. However, AI does possess some risks for patients and the medical profession. It requires data repository to get large enough as well as extremely well validated. Otherwise, the doctors will continue to utilize their training and experience to make sure that AI yields proper results. It will require them to enable AI to offer proper diagnoses and course of various medical treatments.